FriendshipWorks volunteers represent all ages, faiths, and backgrounds, and come to us from congregations, schools, businesses, and the community at large.
What Do Volunteers Do?
FriendshipWorks volunteers help elderly and disabled adults with almost anything one friend might do for another. Our volunteers and their friends read aloud, go for walks, help get to appointments, visit by phone, and much more.
FriendshipWorks has a variety of volunteer opportunities. For details about time commitments and other information, please visit the What It Involves? section.
- Friendly Visitor: Visit elders weekly in their homes, offering friendship and support.
- Medical Escort: Escort elders to/from medical appointment, providing emotional and/or physical support.
- Friendly Helper: Assist with short-term tasks, possibly including shopping, packing, organizing…
- Walking Buddies: Friendly Visiting with a focus on walking with your elder friend.
- PetPals: Visit elders in nursing homes, assisted living facilities or individual homes with your pet.
- La Cadena de Amistad: FriendshipWorks’ bilingual neighborhood office offering bilingual, bicultural services to Spanish-speaking elders, including medical escorts and Friendly Visiting.
- MusicWorks: FriendshipWorks’ pilot music program is offering Friendly Visiting with volunteers & elders who have an interest in music.
Applying Is Easy
Its easy to become a FriendshipWorks volunteer! You can fill out our online volunteer application, and a FriendshipWorks staff person will contact you within a few days to help schedule a training session. We offer training and ongoing support for every one of our volunteers.
If you have additional questions about volunteering with FriendshipWorks you can call our office at 617-482-1510.
- Friendly Visitor
- Medical Escort
- Walking Buddies Volunteer
- Friendly Helper
- MusicWorks Volunteer
If you would like to volunteer as a PetPal, please fill out our PetPals volunteer application instead of the standard application.
Join a Committee!
Do you have any skills/interest helping with the following committees:
- Development Committee
- Marketing Committee
- Program Committee
- Events Committee
Committee hours if very flexible from 1-2 hours per month to a couple hours/week depending on jobs assigned to Task Forces. Meetings are typically early morning or after office hours to accommodate work schedules. If you desire to lend a hand where needed and to share your skills, apply to be on a committee! To apply or ask more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, or to request a paper application, call our office at 617-482-1510.