- What it involves: Visiting with an elder friend for conversation, shared experience, and companionship.
- Time commitment: 1 or 2 hours per week for at least 8-9 months.
- Availability needed: Flexible hours based on you and your elder’s schedules.
- Skills needed: A desire to help out and make a new friend! Opportunities are also available for Spanish speakers and other languages as needed.
Why Friendly Visiting?
Without the stimulation that social interaction and friendship provide, an isolated elder can experience poor health, a lack of strength and energy, depression, and other physical, emotional, and mental health problems. Weekly visits from our friendly volunteers can change all that.
Friendly Visiting is fun for both the volunteer and recipient! Many of our “matches” last years, allowing for shared interests and activities that come with enduring friendships.
How It Works
Volunteers visit with their friends for an hour or two each week.
Some others activities that our volunteers enjoy with their friends include:
- A friendly chat over a meal
- Reading aloud
- Helping with light chores
- Trips shopping or to a local coffee shop
- Any other activity that friends enjoy!
Many elders would like to walk or listen to music during this weekly visit, so Walking Buddies or our music program may be incorporated as an activity for the volunteer and elder to do together.
How to Apply
FriendshipWorks goes to great lengths to ensure “matches” are favorable for both the volunteer and recipient. We take into consideration personality, geography, and many other criteria. Apply to volunteer and tell us a little about yourself. We’ll introduce you to somebody special!
To volunteer with FriendshipWorks, please fill out our online volunteer application.
If you are or know of an elder who might benefit from our services, please visit our referral page.
If you have any questions about our Friendly Visiting programs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617) 482-1510 option 3.